Updated October 16, 2017
Jobs related to data science are booming right now with the tech industry growing at a rapid pace, but there is a lot of confusion between the Role of a Data Scientist and a Data Analyst…
I am going to QUICKLY breakdown the difference for you so that you can get started right away with your career in the Data Analytics industry!
First of all what is data analytics…
Data analytics is the extraction a large, large, large amounts of data that are stored within a data base. This data comes from a multiplicity of places all over the world via website traffic, in-store and online purchases, social media activity, traffic patterns, etc, etc, etc…. the list could go on and on.
Basically everything we do is being collected to be used as data to advertise to us, keep us safer when we are driving, or help us find the restaurant we want to eat at.
Now to The Role of Data Scientist – The IT Rock Star!
Data Scientists are the top professionals in their industry. They usually hold a Masters Degree in some relative Computer Science degree or even a PhD. They understand, very well, data from a business point of view and he/she can make accurate prediction of the data to advise clients on their next big business move! Data scientists have a solid foundation of computer applications, modeling, statistics and math!
- Ability to do high levels of math quickly
- Fantastic Statistical Analysis Abilities
- Great Communication Skill: Written and Oral
- And they have a brilliant Knack for communicating between the IT world and the Business Professionals.
Starting Salary: $115,000
The Role of Data Analyst
A Data Analyst is very important in the world of data science. They are in charge of collecting, organizing, and and obtaining statistical information from a large amount of data sets (Data sets are very large pools of data that must be searched in order to find the data that is relevant to a specific study). They are also the ones responsible for formulating all of their findings into an accurate report of powerpoint presentation to give to their client or internal team.
- Strong Understanding of Hadoop Based Analytics (Program to help extract data from large data sets and the analyze the data)
- Familiar with data analytics in a business setting
- Must have data storing a retrieval skills
- Proficiency in decision making
- Have the ability to transform data into understandable presentation
Starting Salary: $60,000
Educational Resources to Get Started Now!
Free is Good, But A Guided Course is Going to Set You on the Best path to success in Data Analytics!
- This program will walk you through 12 courses and give you excellency in 27 new skills
If you want to take you data analyst skills to the next level take the Micro Masters from the University of California San Diego.
This Course From UC San Diego will be elemental in boosting your data analyst capabilities.
Note: be prepared for this course! It is full of amazing insight to the world of Data Analytics!
Don’t wait any longer… These jobs are available but they will be going quickly when more people realize the amazing opportunity of Data Analytics.